Friday, April 29, 2005

Pause Movie

My children have a somewhat odd practice of pausing whatever imaginary story they are playing or book they might be reading whenever they need to turn their attention elsewhere for the moment (like a quick trip to the bathroom.) It's really quite simple. I hear my daughter (who recently added ballerina to her when-I-grow-up list) say abruptly, "pause movie!" and run frantically to complete whatever task has interrupted her play. Then she returns and I hear, "unpause!" My son has this ability as well, only, being six, he is much more methodical, carefully saving to his memory base the last two words read in his book before turning it open face down on the couch and saying, "pause book" before making his way to the bathroom or for a refreshing glass of water. I'm serious, this is something that really occurs in our house many times a day. It's absolutely fascinating to me that my children can do this. Of course, I know how to use the dvd remote control as well as the best of them, but put a pause on everyday life...now that's impressive...most impressive.

As a parent, there are times I sure wish I could just hit the pause button...just for a few minutes, so I don't miss a thing. Who decided to push the FFWD on my children? Where was I when that happened? What's wrong with that crazy RWD button?! What, it doesn't work on kids...not even mine? Guess I better take a potty break and get a drink before the show starts...I don't want to miss a thing.

2 comments:

Magdaleine said...

I love it! What a great idea! Aren't kids just the greatest? Don't you wish sometimes you could push "pause" for events longer than a bathroom break?

Ruthie said...

Yes, Maggie, kids are fabulous...they never cease to amaze me. They are hopeless visionaries with fertile minds. Wouldn't a pause button in life be great? But what a thrill to anticipate the marvels in watching them grow! Thanks for the comment(:

8:25 AM