Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A non-writing writer

Okay, the reason I started this blog was mostly as an outlet for my writing and thoughts (hmm...not an uncommon reason for someone to start a blog, I'm guessing.) Well, it's not that I haven't been thinking a lot, I just haven't written much lately. Occasionally in life (actually, quite often here in the Wittum home) we come to a pool of deep waters and just need time to reflect and prioritize. In fact, I have to admit that this seems to be a fairly consistent state for me. I am intrigued (maybe obsessed would be a better word) with the idea of being a growing person. Maturing, growing, learning...what a great persuit to aspire to, especially when you can look back and be really thankful that you are maturing, growing, learning. At the same time, being somewhat of a perfectionist can also pose a threat to just being plain happy! So part of my journey of growth is simply learning to be a bit more content and (oh boy-sie) joyful even with a floor piled with laundry and a sink loaded with dishes. So, though the old notebook is rarely neglected for long, something's gotta give. One thing I have learned over the years (through many an unpleasant lesson) is that fewer words are better than many and some things are really worth sharing while others simply are not. The wise person knows the difference. Something to think about.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Hi, Ashley. It is a trial for us perfectionists to just be. Speaking for myself, I can also be pretty hard on myself if I am not living up to my own expectations
...the old self-pity trap...yikes! The key for me is recognizing my weaknesses and surrendering them to God. I really want to live a graceful life!