Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Those Beautiful Curly Blonde Locks...

Yesterday morning I walked into the bathroom upstairs and noticed a few locks of beautiful curly blonde hair. For a moment I was puzzled, then slowly panic set in as I realized what little head the tufts had fallen from. In a daze, I found myself in the girls room surrounded by more angel hair. Sarah is my three-year-old. Everywhere we go people ooh and ahh over her sweet blonde curls. Admittedly, I have a hard time taking my eyes off those darling ringlets, myself.
I pulled her into my arms from a sound sleep and saw a first glimpse of the damage done. Yes, it was true, she had cut her hair quietly before going to sleep, not knowing the repercussions of her actions. In tears, I said, "Sarah, what did you do to your beautiful curls?" Still half asleep, her face crinkled up and tears swelled. Of course, I went through the stages of bewildered, sad, then angry....lastly humbled. Hair grows back, but heart's are easily broken...remorse was deep and real for her and for me.
Sarah now sports a darling vintage 80's hairstlye perfect for warm summer weather. It will take a while to get used to and I've vowed to put her in summer dresses and girly colors all summer while her hair grows out, but I have to admit...it suits her personality.
This is Sarah with her best friend, Bella...doesn't she look like she just stepped out of an 80's McCall's magazine?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ruth the McCall's magazine bit had me lol!! Ya never know maybe they will grow back even curlier;) Love all of your pictures, they are great!!

Ros said...

Pretty photos.. I can only imagine your shock.. I was shocked when my three year old cut a tiny patch out of HIS hair.. But she is beautiful either way. In that last photo particularly she reminds me of Stephanie Tanner from that 80's comedy 'Full House'.

Anonymous said...

This really shows how teeny tiny Bella is. I didn't realize she was "that" tiny. wow!

Ruthie said...

That's funny, Ros...she's does look like Stephanie Tanner in that picture :)

Ruthie said...

She is tiny, Steph. I'll have to send you some of the other pictures I took. I think I have more of Bella than any of the others...what a ham!!!:)

Ros said...

You know.. I'm actually quite impressed she doesn't have any bald patches on her head. Isn't that what most little kids do when they cut their own hair?

Ruthie said...

Yes...I guess we were pretty lucky considering all the possibilities of the damage she could have done. When I cut her hair, I had to cut out a four inch patch of matted hair that I could not get out no matter how much shampoo and even detangler I used. I have no idea what was in her hair to cause it to do that but I have a feeilng that she was trying to cut it out.
Anyway, everyday I like her hair even more...she really looks cute. In the humidity it's starting to curl up a lot more than in the pictures I took above.