Saturday, August 02, 2008

The One I Was Meant To Write

This morning I'm making pancakes...right this very minute. Isn't that awesome? These words are coming to you straight from my kitchen counter top, in between pancake flips and table-setting. And who, you may ask, is responsible for this wonder of wonders? Someone who thought giving me a little pink laptop computer would help me to "blossom."

Now the kids and I have finished our breakfast, so this Saturday morning calls me and my laptop outside. You know your husband has been mowing the lawn when the kiddy pool is perched awkwardly atop the play fort. I spend many mornings and evenings after the kids are in bed, sitting on the deck or on my front porch with my little computer. Lately, Sunday has become my day out. A few hours to myself is always something to look forward to. I've been dreaming for several years of taking this kind of time for myself, but have had a difficult time pulling myself away, leaving my whole crew to fend for themselves (and also a little nervous about how the house will look when I return.) Once again, the giver of my pink laptop has priorities...I have noticed. Last Sunday, exhausted after returning from vacation, and a little emotionally overwhelmed, I was not in the best of moods. I certainly didn't feel like writing. After a few hours of making myself 'busy' around the house and ranting about why I really don't have time to go, my husband said, "you are going!" and saw me to the door. The funny thing is that I have been talking for years about taking time like this, but when he finally asked me, "What can I do to help you blossom?", I needed his help to get over myself enough to just walk out the door. Honestly, I love being loved by him.

I'm developing an affair, however, with Tim Hortons lattes...he pushed me to it. I tuck my little computer in my backpack and head of for some quiet time. I love sitting with my mug of coffee, soothing music on my ipod, writing away at my table in the corner. It's the book I'm working on...the one I affectionately call, "the one I was meant to write." And it may very well be that, in truth, this is the one...that is writing me.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I am so happy for you that you not only are taking time for yourself but are working at doing something you love so much. I hope someday I'll get to read your book.
Missed you last week.
Kel

Ruthie said...

Thanks Kelli. This week I took my coffee outside to a picnic table across the street and then walked along the river...BY MY SELF. It was magical, very good for my "inner-child" :) I have a hard time pulling myself away, but always returned refreshed. It's a very good thing.

Ros said...

A good coffee and some quiet time.. sounds perfect...

glad you ended up going!

Stephanie said...

You are finally going to write a book, that is soooo awesome. I've always thought that you should be writing books. You have a wonderful way with words. Enjoy those quiet moments;)

Nikki said...

Props to your husband for getting you out of the house and off on your own. Every once in awhile, when I am away from my family and off on my own (with the exception of work), even if it is just to Target to run errands or the library to pick up a new book, I feel like I am re-connecting with my true self. It's quite a meditative practice, for me at least.

P.S. I am blogging again! I couldn't stay away for long!!