Friday, May 22, 2009

The Art of Parenthood

Today I was blowing bubbles with my two-year-old daughter. She was catching the shiny orbs, yelling "Pop, pop, pop. Mama I pop them!" Then she exclaimed, "I'm happy!" I asked, "Do bubbles make you happy?" "No," she said, "you make me happy." That's medicine for a mother's heart.

Yesterday we were wandering around in the local Salvation Army Thrift Shop when I ran across a little plaque with a quote by Wilferd A. Peterson. I bought it for 5o cents to hang in my newly painted kitchen. I want to share it because it's so good...a reminder I need everyday:
In practicing the art of parenthood an ounce of example is worth a ton of preachment. When we set an example of honesty our children will be honest.When we encircle them with love they will be loving. When we practice tolerance they will be tolerant. When we meet life with laughter, they will develop a sense of humor. Our children are watching us live, and what we ARE shouts louder than anything we can say.
love, love, love...

3 comments:

Ros said...

Actually I think bubbles have a way of bringing out the happiness in things...
Very true quote too..

Ruthie said...

I agree, Ros...something very joyful about bubbles!

wingerr said...

Bubbles are able to make us feel as children again, they can make us laugh and, of course, put us together.

I like your blog. Bye.