Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Wynken, Blynken and Nod

A few years ago, while browsing through records at a local resale shop, I came across an old LP that I remember spending many hours listening to as a child. I snatched it up in hopes that someday I would be able to share the story with my own kids. This weekend my precious in-laws gave us a stereo with a turn-table! So yesterday the kids and I must have listened to Wynken, Blynken and Nod at least three times through, among a few other oldies I brought out. It was so fun introducing them to the old vinyl records. My kids love hearing stories about when I was small and I love giving them little glimpses of my childhood. Hearing those nostalgic crackles in the background brought back sweet memories of sitting up on the huge old woodgrain stereo in our dining room listening to my favorite records. (Bullfrogs and Butterflies and Down By the Creek Bank were some others that got a lot of play time.) Our stereo was completely equipped with turn-table, eight-track and radio. Oh yea, those were the days. Our new stereo is about one-fourth the size of that old dinosaur and it offers CD, dual-tape deck, radio and turn-table....But you can't sit on it. They just don't make them like they used to.

Just a quick thought for today: I have found that sharing stories from my childhood always makes a connection with my kids. Try it! It's nice for them to know you were really a kid...and that you remember. (:

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Thank you, Lorissa. You are a gem!