Thursday, April 19, 2007

Thankful Thursday: The Park, People and Happy Kids

I did it. I left my dishes in the sink, my laundry all over the living room floor, and I took my kids to the park to run their little hearts out. I watched them climb and swing and slide and laugh...and fall. And when we got home they were covered with dirt, hungry, wound up and happy. But now they are clean, full and sleeping peacefully. My house is quiet and so is my heart. The dishes are done, the laundry is folded. I'm wearing a content and grateful smile.

At the park today I not only watched my children, but I watched my community...those people with whom we share this park...each with their own lives, their own story. I sat and visited with interesting people and opened my eyes to the beautiful network of individuals who make-up a community. Hmmmn, I like the park. I think we'll go more often.

After we were done playing and I had chased a three-year-old under a playscape doorway too low for anyone over three foot (ouch), we went for a quick grocery run to ALDI. Do not take children grocery shopping at six o' clock...especially after playing for 2-hours at the park. They were extraordinarily loud and interested in everything edible in the store. But they were also cute and sweet and lovable...and happy. Really, is there anything better than happy kids? As we were walking down the produce isle, Sophie was enthusiastically oohing and aahing over the califlower and tomatoes. I noticed an older lady in the cart next to us smiling. I said, "Can you tell my kids are hungry?" We laughed. Then we chatted briefly, bagging our groceries while the kids talked excitedly about the contents of my cart. We turned to leave and wished her a good evening. "Thank you,," she replied, "Enjoy your children!"

That pretty much says it all.

Yes, I am thankful today.

"Dwelling in this moment, I know this is a wonderful moment."
~Tich Nhat Hanh~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. Thankful Thursday....refreshing. Kids are truly the most amazing little people, aren't they? So sweet, innocent and full of life...makes me wonder why I don't just go to the park when I'm so stressed! Maybe a good tumble down the slide would make life's worries disappear if only for a brief moment. Thanks, Ruthie! I needed this today! The things kids teach us in the simple, everday!

Ruthie said...

You're so sweet, Jen. Thanks for the comments!