Saturday, April 28, 2007

Thankful a Few Days After Thursday: Spring Cleaning!

Spring Cleaning has had me distracted this week. Something about this weather turns me into a ball of energy and determination. I get this overwhelming desire to declutter and clean...to make wide open spaces in my home, to open windows and let the fresh air in. I have a lot to say about this practice because it's such a refreshing time for me.

Our basement seems to become a disaster every winter...it starts around October when I go on my Fall decluttering rampage, culling out the children's old toys, getting ready for the Christmas overflow. My intention is to make a few trips to a few local donation spots or to save up for a Spring yard sale. I'm usually a good one for hauling loads over to Goodwill but this year it just didn't happen, so yard sale it is! Anyway, I digress....cleaning out the basement.
Another Winter phenomenon for us is mice...we have been searching for a few weeks among the mountains of clutter near my husband's computer stuff for the mysterious cause of a terrible odor. Well, Tuesday I hauled 5 huge rolls of insulation up to the attic to make space in the basement for organizing the keeping stuff. Let's just say, dead mice: zero; crazy Spring-cleaning lady: 3; foul odor: eliminated. Pow!

I sweep my floors barefooted...it's practical and nostalgic for me. A close friend of mine once shared her secret of sweeping barefooted to assure all the crumbs made it out from under foot. Youthful memories of our friendship always surface when I sweep. I haven't seen her in years and only talk with her on the phone occasionally, but after all my sweeping yesterday, she made an appearance in my dream last night. I don't usually remember my dreams, but I was glad to remember this one. :)

Wednesday and Thursday were my Rearrange The Furniture And Make A Bigger Mess Before The House Looks Great Day. Which by the way, brought to memory these words I wrote in a letter to another old friend, which ring out so true in my life right now, "You can't de-clutter a room without making a big mess first. So don't be fooled if things look really good on the outside. On the inside it's still a big sloppy mess...but it's my big sloppy mess and little by little the clutter is clearing and my room is expanding." Hmmmn...deep inhale...okay exhale. Feels good, huh?

And....thank you to another sweet, sweet friend who came to my door with a box of Bigelow Vanilla Almond Tea. I am savoring a cupful this morning before going on a golf-outing with my husband...my first time on a golf course without castles and windmills...should be interesting.
Today is my sweetheart's birthday, so he's teaching me to golf! And thank you to Grandma who makes it all possible!

1 comment:

Ros said...

I agree.. there is something in the spring air that makes you just want to get up and clear up... All the best with your yard sale! I hope it goes well.