Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thankful Thursday: Music and Miniture Violinists

For the past month or so Sarah has been voicing her birthday wish list. She turned 5 this week. The list has remained surprisingly short and to be honest, quite impressive: a xylophone, a violin and Minnie Mouse slippers. Okay, I cannot tell you how much hearing my child express definitively that she wants a violin and a xylophone makes me wants to just gush all over the place. My mind immediately flashes forward to a beautiful young woman standing in a long black dress, bow in hand, accompanied by a full orchestra....or maybe chiming in with the percussionists in the background. I'm guessing she would have outgrown the slippers by then.

So, here is my little violinist at 5 years...now to find a teacher....


To celebrate her birthday we went to a high school marching band contest at the football field. It was a blast. I played percussion from fifth grade through high school and have an insatiable affinity for a really good street beat, so seeing my children sitting on the bleachers joyfully taking in the whole experience was a thrill. They were smiley and fidgety and obviously being effected by the beat. Sophie now tells me she plans to play the drums and Sarah of course, is set on the xylophone.

So, black tie orchestra or marching band, I have big dreams of enjoying my children make music as they grow. For now, I'm happy to add a lot of banging on the drumset and a squeaky violin to the living room guitar and piano conciertos I've already been awed by. :)


4 comments:

Ros said...

Wow!! You will have your own little orchestra before you know it! What is Samuel drawn to in the way of musical instruments?

And I have to say, I have NEVER seen a pink violin before - where did you find that?

Ruthie said...

Sam's playing the recorder in school right now, but hasn't shown a definite interest in anything else yet...I'm still hoping!

We found the pink violin through the wonder of the internet, of course!

Stephanie said...

Love the pink violin!! Wait until they are older and want to start a garage band;)

Ruthie said...

Yeah, I guess we'll need to get a garage at some point. LOL Or we'll just send them out to the little barn with the lawn mower. :)