Friday, September 16, 2005

Honor and Wisdom

A nice visit over a few hot cups of tea with good friends last night left me refreshed and encouraged: My thoughts turned towards noble ideals and the priviledge of leading our little ones along the path of wisdom and instilling in them a love for truth. There are three words that seem to define our persuit as a family: truth, wisdom and honor.
I am always speaking to my children of my desire to see them grow in wisdom. Our simple definition of wisdom: knowing what is right and doing what is right. Giving children the desire to grow in wisdom empowers them to make good and thoughtful choices.

"Who among you is wise and understanding?
Let him show by his good behavior his deeds
in the gentleness of wisdom...
The wisdom from above is first pure,
then peacable, gentle, reasonable,
full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.
And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace
by those who make peace."
James 3:13,17-18
As a mother, it is one of my highest priorities is to teach my children the virtue of honoring one another. The word honor encapsules the ideas of respecting, esteeming, cherishing, prizing one another. This is the critical foundation of family life. Children need to know that God has given them their parents to care for, protect and teach them and given them siblings to love, protect, play with, learn with, work with.
These are just a few thoughts that I've been dwelling on. Now I need to build a block fortress with my daughter who is diligently repeating, "It's taking you a long time. Please. Por favor. Please. Por favor." (thank you, Dora for the Spanish lessons.)

No comments: