Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thankful Thursday: Baking Soda...and grace.

I'm really into baking soda...it has so many cool uses. I bake with it, clean with it, bath my girls in it, put it in the laundry...so I often have a box of it sitting in various places around the house. In fact, one has a permanent home in the bathroom upstairs. I was a little surprised today to find that box empty...this is not a little box...this is the big box variety. Not only was the box empty, but the bathroom floor was not. I'll let you picture it. Little white footprints led from the bathroom into the girls bedroom....niiiice. I wasn't happy, but the footprints were pretty cute.
After sending the three-year-old culprit to sit on her bed to wait for me, I cleaned up the mess and gave myself some time to figure out how I was going to handle this. When I walked into her room and started the questions she answered in her sweet 3-year-old dialect, "I wanted to be a big girl but I had an accident and I spilled it." That was the first real discipline "talk" she and I have had together. I did not talk to her, I talked with her. I mean, my little one really has become a big girl, she's not a baby anymore. This post really isn't about baking soda (although I still think it's cool stuff), it's about grace and forgiveness and loving a little girl.
I'm thankful that I've learned the biggest lesson of grace...that I can be graceful with myself. I'm not perfect, but I'm growing. I make lots of mistakes, but grace says "Don't wallow...learn!" I don't always handle stressful situations well with my children, but today I did and my daughter experienced forgiveness in the true sense....and her grieving three-year-old heart understood.

This is a spiritual lesson...one that's meant to stop and consider the mother-heart of God. This is not about punishment, it's about learning. That's what it's all about. Hmmmn. And I'm really thankful for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope that you someday do become a writer, because I love reading your well written words.

I loved hearing your voice yesterday and talking with you. That was so nice. And a great conversation on a snowy day can really pick a gal up. although that cup of earl grey would have made it whole. i'll take a little milk with mine, please.

I am really wanting to come visit you now. Flights to Lansing are soooo expensive, though. boo.

Ros said...

Cute... you should have taken a photo of those little white footsteps :) That would make a sweet photo.
And I agree (although the message of this is not baking powder) - it really is good stuff!