Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thankful Thursday: Friends with Better Memories than Me.

Have you ever heard the quote, "A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words?" Nice, a little hallmarkish, but there's something to this well-known friendship quote.

Today, in the midst of a hearty laugh brought on by a far-away friend, I finally realized what the author of this quote was trying to express. Here's my take on it (though not as flowery): " A friend is someone who reminds you who you are when you have forgotten or when you're trying to be someone else."

On that note, let me say that a friend reminded me today that I once found something profound and noteworthy in a hanger dangling high in a treetop.

Since I've actually been thinking along these lines lately of recapturing or becoming that person I really am (as opposed to the one I sometimes project,) this was another defining moment for me.

Who found joy in a misplaced hanger?....I can guarantee you it was creative and humorous spirit. I embrace that. :)

This is going somewhere and I'm going to follow it...but for now let me say thank you to my friends who so faithfully remind of who I am....with hopes that I can be the same kind of friend in return. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for saying all of this, it really means so much to me.

Ruthie said...

I only say all this because of the friend you happen to be...so thank you!