Saturday, April 26, 2008

Just for Joy

I'm not the kind of person who really enjoys shopping and rarely buy things on a whim, but I was at the Dollar Tree with my hubby the other day looking for a giant bubble wand and a gag gift when I ran in to this little guy.
I couldn't help but smile...he's just so darn jovial. Then I picked him up and instinctively gave his little plastic case a small squeeze...and found myself laughing out loud at the combination of the faint popping sound and the frolicking clown inside. So for a buck, I brought him home. My kids were as impressed with him as I was and have found endless delight in his popping case. Then the unmentionable happened...removed from his case, the little glass clown slipped from Sarah's fingers and broke. I felt a sudden twinge of irritation and the urge to scold her...remembering then that I had also purchased some super glue, I scooped up the clown and in moments our joy purchase was again standing atop his ball making us all smile. I've glued him once more since then, but we're all still smiling.

A lesson in impermanence...everything changes. Glass breaks. Joy can be found in simple things outside ourselves. But lasting joy? That comes from within.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

You are so right Ruth. Why is it that this lesson is such a hard one to remember?
The clown is cute:)
Have a great day!!
I got Mike to share the lamb Korma, it was a very nice treat, I still can't believe he said that to Luke;) Guys?
Mike assured me that it was a guy thing, too funny!

Ruthie said...

I'm glad Mike shared the Korma...it was for both of you!!!

Ros said...

You are such a patient mom, Ruth! Your children are blessed.

On a side note, we are having Korma for dinner tonight too haha.. just had to add that!

Ruthie said...

Thanks, Ros! I definitey have those moments of loosing my cool, too. This one was a "Yes!" moment, though...and a good reminder, too.

That's funny about the Korma...yum!