Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Acceptance

"Our task is to say a holy yes to the real things of our life as they exist."
-Natalie Goldberg

I have been thinking about acceptance lately...about embracing all of life, good and bad, as simply life--my life, my portion. Not to say we cannot strive to grow, only that growth comes through these things, not by fighting them. We accept change as a natural part of life--flowing constantly, moving--changing. Can I accept my life as it is, and grow in the midst of this, my portion? Small hardships come and go. My life has brought it's share of disappointments and struggles. But in the journey I have grown to a place of acceptance--this is my life, my path...what will I learn...how will I grow? The question-- I can say to someone, "Embrace all of life as a beautiful opportunity to grow," but what if I was in their circumstance? What about tragic divorce? debilitating injury? financial bankruptcy? losing a loved one? Would I still be able to find the underlying joy? Would I still accept in peace and grow in spirit through it all, recognizing God's purposes for me? I must believe it is true that we will be given no more than we can handle. And I honor those who are growing through burdens that my knees would probably buckle under. What are your thoughts on Acceptance?

First posted on A Path to My Woods, Jan. 25, 2007

1 comment:

Luke said...

I would think it is the first step in true growth. If we do not accept what is the current state of affairs then we live in a delusion and any actions we take are somewhat misguided stemming from an prejudice illusion. I think acceptance also means we should not be afraid.