Friday, January 05, 2007

Peter Pan and Tinkerbel

I have a 5 year old daughter who believes in pixy dust. It works magic on so many things. If she's afraid at night, I simply add a pinch of bravery to the pixy dust and sprinkle it on (a little hug goes a long way to.) It seems to give her just what she needs to settle into a peaceful sleep.

Recently, after my 3-year-old recieved some Disney fairies for Christmas, we rented Peter Pan. The girls fell in love with the movie...Peter, Tinkerbell, Wendy, even the old Crocodile with the ticking clock inside. So much of that magical stuff of childhood...they soaked it up. Then, one night this week I found my Sophie sitting in her bed working busily writing some letters. I came in later to find the window blind raised all the way. The objections when I started to lower the blind were loud! "Mom, no...leave it up." The only response to my "why" was "please don't look at my letters (positioned toward the window on a nightstand in front of it), you wouldn't understand." Of course, this raised my curiousity and I peaked quickly while the kids were in brushing their teeth before bed. The letter were addressed: To Peter Pan and To Tenkerbel.

All the kids were amazed and excited at breakfast the next morning as they announced that the letters were gone! Samuel, being a little older, looked carefully to make sure they hadn't just fallen behind the nightstand. Of course, I reveled in their delight at the prospect of Peter and Tink making a special visit to their bedroom window!

They have been busy this week making trips to Neverland, playing Peter Pan in the backyard. Sophie tells me that she makes up her own stories about Peter, too. Childhood can be such a joy!

And, yes...the letters are tucked away in a special place for priceless keepsakes. We'll pull them out when the magic fades and a little girl becomes a lady.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great!! What imaginative children you have;)

Ros said...

How cute. My 5 year old (Alexa) believes (for real) that she is a pixie (well half pixie). She is not shy telling people either. They would get along well I think.
I remember when I was young, we had 'magical' visits from fairies who would even write us the occasional little note we'd randomly find under a bush in the garden, and in doing so keep the magic alive. I think it's great you are doing that with them ;)

Ruthie said...

I love it! Yes, we have several imaginary fairies running around our house, too. Samuel was the first to befriend them (as his fairies are interested in Star Wars and want to hear him read all of the Magic Tree House books aloud in order.) Sophie soon after began inviting the little fairies into her play and often sleeps with them sharing her pillow.

Ros said...

How sweet. I am sure they will look back on this in future years with much fondness!