Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thankful Thursday: The Practical Wisdom of Children

Who doesn't love chocolate? Last night we had strawberries (a rare treat in winter) topped with chocolate pudding and a few marshmallows for dessert after dinner. Dessert is a one-helping affair in our house, as we are trying to learn moderation. However, one helping of chocolate anything isn't easy for most kids! So of course, our conversation naturally led to the topic of thankfulness. We talked about children in the world who have never tasted chocolate and how some children have so little, how some children have only tasted things like water (not so clean water) and rice. I encouraged them to eat their dessert slowly, mindfully, savoring the moment and the sweetness...and to be aware of how fortunate we are...to be thankful.

(good mom, wise mom)

Then my 5-year-old daughter says to me, "Mom, it's good to be thankful, but we really should do something for those children."

(still learning mom)

I'm thankful for the wisdom flowering from the brilliant souls I call my children...and how they teach me everyday...

No comments: