Monday, April 25, 2005

Becoming a Masterpiece

I love art. I love looking at it, I love thinking about it, I even love learning the history behind great works of art. Do I believe that Claude Monet took great pleasure in creating unique and beautiful images of waterlilies and gardens and bridges? I do. I can only believe he was empassioned by his painting, as many of the timeless masters of the past were. A painting by Monet is unmistakable in his style and content, it bares his mark. It is uniquely Monet. Did he not sign his name in brushstrokes for all to see and know: "This is my work." Did Monet seek only the joy of creating? Or did he take even greater joy in seeing a completed masterpeice with the mark of his craftmanship? Did he take pride in hearing someone praise his work?

Becoming a masterpeice...knowing the Master created you, took care and pride in your creation. If your heart is prone to praise Him, bring an offering of your life as a masterpeice. It is true what Augustine wrote, "You have made us for yourself, O Lord..." We were made to bring God praise--not just words easily poured from our lips-- but a life surrendered to the artist's brushstroke.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Hi Ruthie,
I'm a fellow INFJ who just noticed the new name on my TybeBlogs list. It looks like you're creating a nice little space here. I too am a big into visual art. Monet, I think one thing he really gained satisfaction in was the examination of the visual experience. He viewed himself as a scientist, but somehow his work always feels otherworldly.

Ruthie said...

Otherworldy is a great way to describe his work! Thanks for the insight, Lora.