Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Something Worth Keeping

I have to admit it, I am a nortorious stasher. I come from a family of hopeless stashers. For years I prided myself in my ability to throw things out, but truth be told, hiding in every spare drawer and crevice of my house and scattered throughout the basement and closets are the products of my attempt to chronicle our lives: My stash of memorabilia goes as far back as I can remember, but has grown steadily with marriage and children. I suppose in some ways this space is another drawer to store my little tid-bits of things I want to save and remember from everyday life...only without the spare rubber-bands, paperclips, near-dry ball-point pens and half-melted birthday candles vying for room among other treasures.

So here's something I don't want to forget, a word that has won an honored spot in our house: top of the dry-erase board:

Magnanimous: [from: magnus (great) + animus (spirit)] 1: showing or suggesting a lofty and courageous spirit. 2: showing or suggesting nobility of feeling and generosity of mind.
Magnanimity: 1: the quality of being magnanimous: loftiness of spirit enabling one to bear trouble calmly, to disdain meanness and pettiness, and to display a noble generosity 2: a magnanimous act

No comments: