Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thankful Thursday: Growing Children

I'm not the only one growing up. Sarah and I visited one of the local elementary schools today for the kindergarten round-up. As we walked up to the school doors she said to me very seriously, "I'm a little nervous." Sarah won't be five until October, so I'm a little nervous, too...not that she won't do well...I'm confident that she's ready. It's just me...I'm not so sure that I'm ready to see her all growing up like that on me. We walked around the gym visiting each table, and I watched her interact with the teachers, gaining more and more confidence along the way. I could tell it was sinking in with her just like it was with me...however I feel about it, she's growing up.

Truthfully, I couldn't be more pleased. After all, that's the game plan. Couple has baby, holds and loves baby, baby grows up....shortened version, of course. I have been thinking about this, anyway. My children do not belong to me. They come through me, not from me. Yes, I am their mother, but before I recognize them as my children, I recognize them as radiant souls...on a journey of their own...with much wisdom to offer me, as well. None of us are perfected, but we have the honor of traveling together. I have the privilege of being their mother...of loving them in a way I love no others...of growing through the unique challenges only a mother can understand.

I'm thankful to be able to see my children grow, but also thankful to share their shaping with other beautiful, caring people whom I have come to trust and appreciate not only as teachers, but as friends.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't believe that Sarah will be in kindergarten!!! What will you do with yourself for those 3 hours of just you and Ruby?;) They really seem to grow up too fast for my liking, I miss cuddling and that bond that nursing a baby brings to your soul. But I will just dig up those memories when needed, no more babes for me:)

Ros said...

Wow.. so you will be just down to one at home like me this year.. I can't get over that three of mine are in school too! So what is the cut-off date for birthdays in Michigan? In Washington it was August 31st when I was there so an October baby seems very young to be able to start school. Of course it's younger here in Sydney, you only need to be 4 1/2 when you enter kindergarten here. That is how old Ben was. Mind you - he is the youngest in his school.

Ruthie said...

The cut-off date here is Dec. 1st. I know, she seems so young to me to be heading off to school. In Kansas the cut-off date was
Sep. 1st when I was growing up. My sister and I were born on the 2nd so we had to wait a year and were some of the oldest in our class. School doesn't start until September so at least by then she'll be nearly five. The other kids were born in the first half of the year. Those extra months seem to make such a difference at this age.

Ros said...

They (the extra months) do make a difference. In Ben's school there are three kindergarten classes. They have arranged the third class to be for children who were born in the later months only, so they are with their peers of an even more similar age.

Alexa was the opposite of you and Sarah. The WA cut off was Aug 31 and her birthday was Aug 30 so she made it in by one day!