Thursday, March 06, 2008

Thankful Thursday: Infectious Smiles

I'm thankful for infectious smiles and the people behind them who inspire me to spread smiles too. It is true that smiles are contagious and they are good for you too! Since I walk my children back and forth to school everyday, I am met with a large variety of faces on the playground and in the school every morning and afternoon. There are a few teachers and children in particular whose smiles are a dose of sunshine even on overcast mornings and I am always glad to smile back. I have found myself growing in this practice too. Funny how people in this country are so disarmed by eye contact and a warm smile. Many don't expect that kind of reception from family, much less a stranger any more. We busy ourselves walking through crowds of people, and yet we are in our own little worlds. My intent to smile is not only an offering of warmth to those around me, but also a reminder to myself that none of us are alone. It is a gift that says, "I see you." It is a chance to remember the connection between us all and to allow a genuine love and sensitivity to our fellow travelers to grow. For me, extending a genuine smile is a practice in becoming and drawing others, if just for a moment, into that experience. Thank you to all you contagious smilers out there!

First posted January 4, 2007 on A Path to My Woods

3 comments:

Ros said...

I'm wondering if your children go to the school that was very near your house because you said you walked there..
I remember there was a 'lollipop man' that used to stand on the corner not too far from our apartment and help the kids on their way to or from school. He was another one of those folk who always had a smile for everyone.

Ruthie said...

Yes, that's where they go...we debated on homeschooling up until the last day we could enroll Sam before kindergarten. It's been a good experiencing haing them in school there, though...and I really like having them so close!

Yes, I know the lollipop man you are talking about...he was still working on that corner until a couple of years ago. He always had a smile and a wave.

Ros said...

Yeah I remember you used to be interested in homeschooling. It was something I considered too, but Nathalie couldn't wait to go to school, so I figured I'd try it out. Back in Seattle, she had the opportunity to go to Paul's old elementary school. It was a very special experience.
She isn't the best student academically but she LOVES it anyway. She is very social and musical though.
It's lovely to have your children at a school so close. I used to walk past that school (your children go to) fairly often and always thought it looked like a nice little school. Plus the area you live in is so pretty - just perfect for walking.