Friday, March 21, 2008

Thankful Thursday on Friday Morning

Last night after getting the kids settled, I laid in bed thinking about gratitude. Even though I was just too exhausted to write my TT post, it was such a good feeling to fall asleep thinking about all the things to be thankful for in my day. I'm glad I fell asleep before I could write last night, because I woke up this morning still thinking about what I'm thankful for. The first sound I heard was my children's happy voices and the toy radio that plays backyardigans tunes. I could picture Ruby in the girls' room dancing to the music (she is in love with that radio). Sophie and Sarah were chattering about their plans for the day. Sarah is always thrilled to have Sophie home from school...a long weekend is like heaven to her. Samuel ran up the stairs all excited to let the girls know that he was the first one up (even after staying awake until midnight to finish the second Harry Potter book.) I took a deep cleansing breath, smiled and reached for my laptop...did I mention that my new computer is basically book-sized? It fits in my purse and has a keyboard that is pretty easy to maneuver with a little practice...also, it's pink.;) Sitting in my bed, I began to type this post. Ruby walked in carrying her Elmo cellphone...
"Ello? Ello?"
The phone was propped between her shoulder and ear. The call was for me, so I took it,
"Hello? Hi...oh you want to talk to Ruby? Just a minute. They want to talk to you, Ruby-Jewely."
"Ello? Ello? Oh by-by Bapa"
Is there really a better way to wake up?

This morning my life feels charmed. Now I'm sitting in my kitchen at my teeny-tiny desk with my laptop charging as I write, tapping my foot to Colby Caillat singing a Bubbly song. My girls are in time-out over a dispute about whether unicorns fly or not...a disagreement that culminated with a few slugs. Sarah's crying in the corner, whining, "It's taking a long time, Mommy."
I peak around the corner and say,"Sarah, you are not supposed to be talking. You are supposed to be thinking about how to treat your sister with love and kindness."
"I already did thaaaat."
"You did? Are you ready to make things right?"
"Yeeeessss."
Of course, "sorrys" and hugs follow.
"Sophie, do you think you can give your sister a little liberty to use her imagination to make her unicorn fly?"
"But unicorns don't fly."
"Don't you have a Pegasus somewhere that Sarah can use?"
Sarah, crying again, "My pants are backwards...and they won't stay uuuuuuup!"
"Ponies and pants, Ponies and pants!" I run upstairs to find the My Little Pony hat box and some pants that will cheer Sarah.

Everybody's happy now...I sweep up the Jewel and swing her around the kitchen accompanied by the i-pod bellowing "I'm Walking On Sunshine!" In return, I get filled to the brim with joyful toddler squeals and laughter. As I sit back down to write, Sophie runs in, "Mommy, look!" She proudly displays her newly acquired snapping skills. "Way to go, Sophie!" Ruby enters, "bowl, Mama, bowl."
"You want a banana, Rubes? Banana...naner, naner, naner!" (I'm singing now.) Ruby says, "Naner, naner, no no no." She wants chocolate chips. The i-pod now accompanies the moment, "...when you've only got a hundred years to live." How charmed is my life?

It's all in perspective, you know. My mornings aren't always like this. Well, they are, only I don't always see it this way. Today, I woke up thankful. I woke up awake...present to the moment.
Somedays all the noise and choas are overwhelming and I just want some peace...the joy is lost on me and everything seems like a drudgery. I miss it all...all the spirit and music mixed in with sibling arguments and whining. But today, I did not. Today, I chose...chose to be awake and thankful. And that made all the difference.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Great reminder. These days of sleep deprivation from nursing in the wee hours start to get to me after 3 months or so! But it really is about deciding to enjoy life. Your children sound so sweet. I love the name Ruby, by the way (and Samuel too, of course! :)!

Ros said...

What a good reminder to be a thankful mother.
Glad you are enjoying things this morning. (or when you wrote that!)