Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Way Off Topic

I have this thing about words...maybe it's because I'm a writer...a word-lover of sorts. Most of my favorite words are elegant and sophisticated like aesthetics or magnanimous...endure, elusive, embellish, eccentric (lovely e-words.) Words...words like...surreal and....inspire. Nothing moves me quite like the perfect word.
But I have a secret.
I love the word dig. As in "I dig that" or "I'm diggin this." As in "I was really diggin it the first time I heard Joss Stone's song, Super Duper Love (I'm Diggin on You)." I usually reserve usage of this word for conversations with my husband, whom I love and trust, and who occasionally also expresses that he "digs" certain things. Admittedly, I employ this unintelligent-sounding, simplistic slang-word quite often when in trusted company. Being a big thesaurus and dictionary fan, I pulled out Webster's Collegiate and found this among it's definitions for the word "dig /dig/ vb 6 a: to pay attention to : notice b: understand, appreciate c: like, admire " That's what I'm saying...I'm diggin the word dig. Are you surprised, bewildered? Everything is going to be okay. This morning I flipped on the ipod and danced my 7-month-old around the kitchen to Super Duper Love....she was diggin it too. Nothing says I love you like "Yeh are you diggin on me Yeh yeh yeh Im diggin on u now baby...See im trying to tell you Your love is super duper Super yes it is yes it is Your love is Your love is super Are you diggin on me coz im diggin on you Im just trying to tell you Oh this love is super duper..."
So there you go...I'm out about the whole word thing...whooo, I feel better now! :)

First posted March 15, 2007 on A Path to My Woods

No comments: